Q. Do I continue taking prescribed pain killers (that don’t really work and have some nasty side effects) or switch to CBD?
I have chronic pain. I have been prescribed many different drugs. I have chronic constipation which requires another drug, a brain fog that affects my concentration and a non stop fight with myself to stop taking these addictive opiates.
But what would I use for pain relief? A co-worker talked about her experience with CBD. She provided me with the following information:
CBD is one of over 60 compounds found in cannabis that belong to a class of ingredients called cannabinoids. CBD is present in high concentrations — and the medical world is realizing that its list of medical benefits continues to grow. THC, the ingredient in cannabis that produces mind-altering effects is found in CBD but only in trace amounts so there is no mind-altering experience.
The following is a list of proven benefits of CBD:
1. Relieves pain and inflammation – Among common CBD benefits, NATURAL PAIN RELIEF tops the list for many. Evidence suggests that cannabinoids may prove useful in pain modulation by inhibiting neuronal transmission in pain pathways. Researchers suggest that CBD and other non psychoactive components of marijuana may represent a novel class of therapeutic agents for the treatment of chronic pain.
2. Has antipsychotic effects — It appears to have a pharmacological profile similar to that of atypical antipsychotic drugs as seen using behavioral and neurochemical techniques in animal studies.
3. Reduces anxiety — Cannabidiol has shown to reduce anxiety in patients with social anxiety disorder and researchers suggest that it may also be effective for panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, social anxiety disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.
4. Helps fight cancer — Several scientific reports demonstrate that CBD benefits include possessing anti proliferative effects that inhibit cancer cell migration, adhesion and invasion.
5. Relieves nausea.
6. Treats seizures and other neurological disorders.
7. Lowers incidence of diabetes.
8. Promotes cardiovascular health.
CBD has the benefit of anti-inflammatory, anticonvulsant, antioxidant, antiemetic, anxiolytic and antipsychotic agent and is therefore a potential medicine for the treatment of many illnesses and diseases.
Oklahoma is one of 17 states that allow limited access to marijuana products low in THC and high in CBD. But specific requirements and conditions must be met.
Vicki L Mayfield, M.Ed., R.N., LMFT Marriage and Family Therapy Oklahoma City
If you would like to send a question to Vicki, email us at email@example.com